Thursday 1 December 2011

1. Effective Note Taking

A communication lecture on Effective Note Taking took place at the beginning of the academic year for 1st year students.  During the lecture and over the following weeks I learnt that effective note taking can be unique to the individual.  There is no single best way of taking notes.  It depends on the context in which you are attending the lecture, on the kind of lecture it is, and most of all on the way you work and learn.

I need to ask myself what I hope to gain by making notes.  The beginning and the end of the lecture is an important time to take down notes as it sets the scene of the lecture and it summarises what has been covered in the lecture.  Listening and documenting the examples and illustrations helps me to remember and understand the subject/concepts discussed within lectures.  It can be very challenging talking down effective notes during lectures as time constrains play a factor during a PowerPoint presentation.  I find it is a good idea to take down the slide number and key words the lecturer mentions or words that will help me learn and understand the subject. 

By reviewing both the lecture handouts and my notes I can develop and link/enhance the theory I have gained in the lectures.  Having effective notes improves my learning and I hope they will assist me in my continuous assessments and revising for my exams. 

Tips:
  • Abbreviations
  • Symbols
  • Diagrams / Images
  • Slide Number
  • Key Words
  • Text Message Style
  • Mind Maps
  • The use of colour to make difference and show importance

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good blog post. Note taking can sometimes not be effective especially if you are taking notes in the wrong way. The link to the video is very useful too.

    ReplyDelete